The Cheek-Spruill House is visually striking at Chamblee Dunwoody and Mount Vernon roads, especially now that it has decorations and lights for the holidays.
Thanks to “As I Recall,” the memoir of Sue Kirby Jameson written in 1997, we have a description of the early days for the Cheek-Spruill House and the surrounding area.
Sue Kirby Jameson was born in 1910 and came to Dunwoody with her parents, Tolleson Kirby and Laura Little Kirby, and four siblings in 1914. They purchased land from the Powers family along what is now Pitts Road. They called the road Little Kirby Road. Later, they moved closer to the center of Dunwoody, to a house on Chamblee Dunwoody Road north of the Cheek-Spruill House.
Jameson remembered that most of the homes in Dunwoody were unpainted small houses. She says the Cheek home, as it was known at the time, “stood out” because it was two stories and painted.
Cheek built the house in 1906 for his son Bunyan. Later, his daughter Myra lived there with her husband. Jameson also remembered that Joberry Cheek donated land a little farther north on Chamblee Dunwoody Road for the early Dunwoody Baptist Church.
Jameson recalls a small building on the Cheek property which served as the post office. From 1910 to 1918, Columbia Cheek was the postmistress. There were two stores — Burnham’s and Nash’s. The two doctors of the town, Dr. Puckett and Dr. Strickland, were located on Chamblee Dunwoody Road within four doors of each other.
Three railroad section houses were on the west side of Chamblee Dunwoody Road, and the railroad depot was on the east side. Cephas Spruill had a blacksmith shop in the triangle formed by Nandina Lane and Chamblee Dunwoody Road. The community well was also in the triangle.
The railroad tracks ran along dusty Chamblee Dunwoody Road directly in front of the Cheek residence. Nandina Lane was originally developed to bypass the railroad tracks.
During the years of the Roswell Railroad, 1881-1921, Nandina Lane was known as Spruill Street. Vehicles coming east from Sandy Springs could turn left and continue to Chamblee Dunwoody Road from there. Cars or wagons traveling west on Mount Vernon had to turn right at Chamblee Dunwoody, drive down by the depot where there was a grade level crossing and then use Nandina Lane to get back up to Mount Vernon.