FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — Last week, District 27 Senate candidate Jack Schiff announced he would withdraw from the race.
“It is with a heavy heart that I share with you our decision to withdraw from the 2014 race,” Schiff said in a post on his campaign’s Facebook page. “My decision to withdraw did not come without a significant amount of counsel and advice from those who are close to me, but in the end, we believe this is the right action for the Senate race and for me at this time.”
Schiff notified the Forsyth County Republican Party and state GOP, as well as the secretary of state.
“It is important to note that my name will be on the ballot and any vote cast for me will be considered null,” Schiff said.
Still in the race are incumbent Jack Murphy, Lauren McDonald III and Michael Williams.
The primary election takes place May 20 and if necessary, a runoff will be held July 22.
Advance voting started this week and runs through May 16.
Other races county voters will get to decide include:
• District 24 Georgia House race, in which Rep. Mark Hamilton will face Sheri Gilligan.
• District 3 County Commission race, where Commissioner Todd Levent, who represents southwestern portions of the county, faces challenger David Hole.
• Forsyth County solicitor general race, in which incumbent Donna Gopaul faces challengers Bill Finch and Susan Zereini.
• Forsyth Board of Education race, where candidates include incumbent Ann Crow, Amanda Nixon and Mark Weiss for the District 1 seat, which covers Cumming and western Forsyth.
• Georgia House District 26 race, in which incumbent Geoff Duncan faces former state Rep. Tom Knox.
• Georgia House District 22, which covers a small portion of Forsyth County, includes incumbent Sam Moore, who is being challenged by Meagan Biello and Wes Cantrell.
Forsyth County registered voters can cast their early ballot at the administration building, located at 110 East Main St. in Cumming.
Visit the Voter Registrations and Elections Department page of the Forsyth County website at www.forsythco.com for more information.