The National Weather Service is warning that snow is expected across portions of North Georgia this afternoon and tonight.
The winter advisory will be in effect until 10 a.m. Friday.
A surface cold front will continue to shift south and east through this evening into the Carolinas.
Behind the front is a cold polar airmass that will continue to spread south and east across Georgia.
At the surface, a low will strengthen across the Carolinas. As this low tracks to the northeast, wrap around moisture will swing into the cold air mass.
Rain will mix with and change over to snow across portions of north and central Georgia late this afternoon and evening.
The heaviest snowfall will be in the North Georgia mountains.
Counties that may experience snow include; Forsyth- North Fulton-Hall-Banks-Jackson-Polk-Paulding-Cobb-Gwinnett-Barrow-Haralson-Carroll-Douglas-South Fulton-Dekalb, including the cities of Gainesville, Marietta, Cumming, Atlanta, L awrenceville and Decatur
* hazard types...light snow and black ice.
* accumulations...up to 1 inch of snow.
* timing...rain will mix with snow in west central Georgia this afternoon...spreading across the rest of north Georgia and parts of central Georgia through the early evening hours.
* impacts...snowfall creating nuisance driving conditions. Black ice is likely across the area tonight and Friday morning when temperatures fall below freezing.
* winds...northwest 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
* temperatures...falling into the mid and upper 30s this evening...
and into the upper 20s to lower 30s after midnight.
A winter weather advisory for snow means that periods of snow may cause primarily travel difficulties. use caution while driving.