MILTON, Ga. — On July 1, Milton Fire Capt. John Cunningham was injured in an explosion at his Lawrenceville home. He has since been released from the hospital.
Cunningham was working on his HVAC system when the explosion occurred and was admitted to Grady Hospital's Burn Unit for burns to his hands and torso.
Milton Fire Chief Robert Edgar said Cunningham's condition has improved and he was released from the hospital two weeks after the incident.
"He is healing at a remarkable pace," Edgar said. "His recovery has progressed faster than anyone anticipated."
Cunningham is receiving daily home healthcare to continue his treatment regimen and will soon begin rehab therapy on an outpatient basis.
Edgar said the department is looking into fundraising options for Cunningham and his family.
This article appeared in the July 25 issue of the Milton Herald.