Choosing a Senior Living community is a big step, and one that many put off. But after a life-altering event occurs is not the best time to start looking. Latest research shows that an active lifestyle, with regular exercise - including mental work-outs that stretch the brain - social interaction, and the right diet are all important to staying healthy. They may even help avoid that life-changing event altogether. The right environment can help residents live with more confidence and purpose, so it’s important to choose well.
Belmont Village Senior Living offers the following guidelines:
- Be Safe – Always the top priority.
- Is the community licensed to provide health services?
- Is a licensed nurse on-site 24/7?
- Does staff receive on-going training?
- Is there a written care plan for each resident?
- Think Ahead – The community should still be a good fit if needs change.
- Pay attention to ease of navigation and safety measures.
- Ask about care programs, even if you don’t need them now.
- Are pharmacy services available?
- Be Comfortable – The community should be clean and inviting. Is the staff friendly? Do residents appear happy and engaged?
- Be Active – Ask to see the daily calendar.
- Are there plenty of interesting things to do?
- Is transportation available?
- What about salon services?
- Exercise Options – Look for a managed fitness center.
- Are there multiple exercise classes?
- Are therapy services available?
- Eat Well, Live Well – Stop by for a meal if you can.
- Are there a variety of appetizing and nutritious options?
- Are special diets accommodated?
- Look for heart-healthy choices as well as those rich in anti-oxidants.
- Understand Contracts and Costs – Review the payment structure carefully. Is it a monthly fee, or a buy-in? What are termination and refund policies? How are care charges structured?
- Don’t Forget Memory Care – Ask about dedicated activities for every day enrichment, plus a specialized program for Alzheimer’s. Are there specific goals to help maintain cognitive function?
Belmont Village is a premier provider of senior living. Atlanta communities include Belmont Village Johns Creek and Belmont Village Buckhead. For more information, please call 770-813-9505. www.belmontvillage.com
# # #