Source: NorthFulton.com

Historic marker dedicated at local Roswell church
Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Roswell Historical Society honor history

March 27, 2013

ROSWELL, Ga. – The Zion Missionary Baptist Church and the Roswell Historical Society placed a historical marker Feb. 22 on the grounds of the historical church to mark the 142nd year of the founding of the church.

Organized in 1871 by a group of dedicated African-American Christians with land donated by white members of Lebanon Baptist Church, Zion Missionary Baptist Church, located at 929 Zion Circle, Roswell, became a one-story structure that also housed a school. Zion survived two devastating fires; one that destroyed the original building in 1885 and one Feb. 16, 1964. Each time through prayer and determination, the members rebuilt the church and worship services resumed. Zion Missionary Baptist church has forged a major place in both American and Roswell history. From the Civil Rights Movement through current moral and social issues, the church continues to support missions and promote good will locally, nationally and internationally. Zion lives her global mission, which is “To win souls and build up the body of Christ,” and her creed to serve as “A refuge from the storms of life.”