Vickery Creek Elementary Science Olympiad team members in the back row, from left, are Anna May Carder, Carson McCoy, Ava Marinelli, Ben Chisam, Ethan Adamson, Luke Woods and Amy Chisam (coach). In the middle row are Lynne Lake Wolfmeier (coach), Carolin Addison, Brody Sanderson, Siddhi Chitgopkar, Siva Appana, Aishi Tyagi and Payal Patel. In front are Pooja Patel, Kyra DeLoach, Sam Carder, Jacob Rogers, Rohan Kil, Ben Carder, Vishnu Yella and Rohan Anne. (click for larger version)
April 19, 2014FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — Lambert High School hosted an elementary school regional Science Olympiad competition on April 12.
The event was run by Dr. Kelly Price, as well as volunteers from the Science Olympiad teams from Lambert HS, South Forsyth HS and Lakeside Middle School.
About 300 students from 15 schools and homeschool programs competed, including 12 schools from Forsyth County.
There were 18 events, and each team sends a pair of students to compete. Some of the events were written tests or labs and others were engineering-type competitions.
Teams are then awarded points based on their placing: first place – one point, second place – two points and so on.
For the Forsyth regional, the top five teams earned invitations to the state tournament at Kennesaw State University on May 17.
The top teams and their results were:
1. Vickery Creek ES – 60 points (six first place medals, four second place medals, three third place medals)
2. Kelly Mill ES – 97 points (two first places, three second places, three third places, two fourth place medals)
3. Sharon ES – 106 points (two first places, two third places, two fourth places)
4. Fulton Science Academy – 113 points (one first place, three second places, one third place, one fourth place)
5. Chattahoochee ES – 119 points (three first places, one second place, two third places)
Science Olympiad is a national program of elementary through high school level.
For more information, visit www.soinc.org.