A & K Service
appen grocery
Krogh-Built Cabinetry
appen dec 2010

Candle fire destroys Roswell apartment


Officials: keep watch of open flames



Upper_Story
shadow
A Roswell apartment was destroyed by fire Nov. 21 when a candle lit materials on fire. Fire officials caution residents to be careful with open flames during the winter months. HATCHER HURD. (click for larger version)

7_Pines_Fire_Neighbor
shadow
Tom Kohl, a neighbor living downstairs, inspects the damage down to the upper front apartment 1707 at Seven Pines apartment community. HATCHER HURD. (click for larger version)

DOOR_WAY
shadow
HATCHER HURD. (click for larger version)
November 28, 2012
ROSWELL, Ga.— Two families were homeless on Thanksgiving Day, nevertheless they had a lot to be thankful for. A Roswell family received an emergency wakeup call around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21, when a fire swept through their Seven Pines Apartments home near Holcomb Bridge Road.

Everyone made it out of the building safely, but the upstairs unit which caught fire and the downstairs unit which suffered a lot of water damage were left uninhabitable.

According to Roswell Fire Department Fire Marshal Paul Piccirilli, the fire began because of a candle.

"The resident was using candles to illuminate her home," Piccirilli said. "One of those candles was in a closet in the bathroom and caught some material on fire."

Thankfully, the woman living there discovered the fire had begun and was able to quickly call 911, he said. Emergency crews arrived within minutes and managed to extinguish the fire before it spread to other apartments.

"They did a great job," Piccirilli said. "The contained it to the apartment and put it out quickly."

Tom Kohl, a neighbor downstairs, said the woman pounded on his door and the others in building to warn them of the danger before fire engines arrived.

"The fire department got here very quickly. We were thankful for that," Kohl said. "But the lady upstairs made sure we were all awake. We got the dog out. Everybody got out."

The fire damage was restricted mostly to the closet and bathroom, Picccirilli said, and the apartment itself suffered water damage from the hoses. Piccirilli said the damage was less than it could have been if the resident had not seen the fire start.

"If she had gone to bed it could have been a much diff outcome," he said.

The resident told officials on the scene she was using candles to light the home because she did not have power. Piccirilli said seven people in all were displaced from the apartment building. The Red Cross is helping them.

list visuals View images.
Managing Editor, Appen Newspapers Inc.
Winter months see many house fires start: Unattended cooking most often culprit

More cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day than at any other time of the year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.

"The No. 1 cause of fire is unattended cooking," said Roswell Fire Marshal Paul Piccirilli said. "Never leave cooking unattended."

Those types of fires are followed closely by flammable items placed near an open flame.

Fried turkeys have become a holiday favorite, but special precautions should be taken for large turkey fryers, which must always be employed outdoors and away from any flammable material. Increasing numbers of household fires result from this new style of holiday cooking.

"In the hustle and bustle of family gatherings, please do not leave food unattended on the stove or in the oven," said Milton Fire Marshal Matt Marietta. "And in case of an accident, always keep an appropriate kitchen fire extinguisher handy."

As the temperature drops and residents start cozying up to a roaring fire, remember to remove all combustibles from the fireplace hearth.

Additionally, if you haven't done so recently, have a professional chimney sweep inspect and clean the fireplace flue. According to Marietta, North Fulton's cities have had several house fires in the past few years due to improper maintenance of fireplaces.

"A lot of people don't realize the importance of keeping a fireplace clean and in good working order," he said. "In some cases where maintenance is not current, fires can start in the chimney and spread to the house before a homeowner is even aware there is a problem."

printPrint
emailEmail Link
CommentFeedback
shareShare

Tags: Crime

  1. report print email
    Accidental Candle Fires
    November 29, 2012 | 02:21 PM

    Thought that this great Fire Prevention idea would interest you.

    We will have Power Failures â€" People will Burn Candles

    I am the first to agree that flashlights and light sticks are the preferred form of emergency lighting. The difficulty with most homes and emergency kits is their ability to provide lighting on a long term basis -24/48/72 hours or 10 days. This is why Kevin’s Kandles are an ideal tool for emergency and disaster preparedness.
    - 15,000 accidental candle fires are reported in the USA each year. Kevin's Kandles greatly reduce this risk for your family and your community. They help eliminate the "Stupid Factor" when people run out of batteries during extended power failures and "get creative" with their illumination.
    In North America, 4% of residential fires are candle related. A majority of the deaths and injuries occur during power failures and in houses where the electricity has been disconnected.
    - Again, this is why Kevin’s Kandles are such a great tool for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. They are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out!
    -Each pack of Kevin's Kandles manufactured in the USA, contains 100 - 10 hour candles. A carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 25 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. That’s a potential of 50,000 - 10 hour candles!
    To view the demonstration video and learn more visit www.asafercandle.com


    Kevin Dawson
    Montreal
READER COMMENTS Submission
When posting feedback please be respectful. Be nice. :
* required value
Your Name*

Town*

Email (not shown on website)*

Subject*

Comment*

Verification*
Identify the animal




Biz Post
Coldwell Banker
RECENT CLASSIFIEDS
Household

27 Cubic Foot Side by Side $ 150.00

July 31, 2014 | 04:12 PM
Used 27 cubic foot refrigerator, »
Job Seekers

URGENT NEED - WE ARE HIRING

July 31, 2014 | 01:13 PM
JOB FAIR BRING YOUR RESUMES »
Rooms for Rent

Room and bath in Roswell

July 30, 2014 | 04:50 PM
Fully furnished room and »

Beverage Depot
appen dec 2010 Duplicate